How to Be Proactive with Your Hepatitis C
Being proactive with your health means you are taking charge. The first step to take is with your attitude and realizing that you have the power of choices.
Choices can make a huge difference in your life, for good or bad. Choose wisely.
Steps to being more proactive
- Ask Questions
- Seek Second Opinions when necessary
- Do not be afraid to change healthcare providers if you need to
- Take charge of your health by changing habits, decisions, and actions that promote better health
- Surround yourself with support
- Not Accepting Bad Advice
While I was fighting hepatitis C, we had to change insurance carriers. We had been told my hepatologist was covered. To my dismay, I found out he was not.
I had to change doctors for one year temporarily. On my first visit with the new doctor, I presented my medical records and explained my hepatitis C condition.
He interrupted me, saying I did not need to see a specialist and that I needed to accept nothing could be done for me.
I was shocked but told him I disagreed. I left his office and sat in my car and cried. I was not going to allow someone, even a medical professional, to discourage me or dampen my hope.
I knew what he said was not true. I was at a crossroads, and I could choose to continue with him or change doctors and move forward with hope. I changed doctors, and I chose hope.
Examples of being proactive with Hep C
- Building a good healthcare team that you feel confident in
- Seek care from a liver specialist
- Seek tests and treatment for hepatitis C
- If you do not have insurance, seek outpatient assistance
- Avoiding what harms the liver: Alcohol, smoking, drugs, exposure to chemicals, toxins
- Eating healthy
- Losing weight if you are overweight
- Exercise is beneficial for your liver and immune system
- Talk to your doctor about what vitamins and supplements are safe to take.
- Talk to your doctor about all over-the-counter and prescription medications that are safe for your liver
- Make a list of questions to ask your doctor and healthcare team
- Saying no to choices that harm you physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually
- Make necessary changes in your life that are healthy and promote hope
How are you proactive with your health?
Do you experience long-term side effects from hep C treatment?