Back to all discussions

I am recently diagnosed with hepatitis C. Will I be alright with treatment?

Hello, I was just diagnosed with hep C ( only did the first HCV antibody test). I have a slightly enlarged liver from an ultrasound I had that I requested because I was having joint pain and a lot of digestive issues. All of my blood work is normal. I am 36 years old female and I have absolutely no idea where I could have contacted this. I am very scared and I feel doomed. Reading online it seems like the treatments leave you with long term side effects. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that everything will be okay and I will get better and be my old self again. I have a 2 year old son and he has to get tested as well, so I am fearful of that. I'm just looking for someone to talk to about all of this. I feel very alone.

  1. Hi Alice, welcome to! I want you to know that we're here for you with support, and I understand the fear and uncertainty that a hep C diagnosis brings.

    Everyone has very different experiences with hepatitis C treatment. While some people do experience long-term side effects, others do not. With the new direct-acting antivirals, there's still a lot we don't know, particularly around long-term side effects. With that said, hepatitis C is treatable with only 8- or 12-weeks of medication and we've heard from many people who do feel better. Getting treated can reduce risks for liver disease and liver cancer, and if caught early enough, can provide the liver time to regenerate.

    I am sharing an article that discusses mother-child transmission in some detail. Transmission risks in the womb are considered low, just about 5%. It sounds like you're already thinking about getting your son tested–I hope that his diagnosis is negative.

    Let us know what other questions you have! I know things may feel scary and hazy now–but it will get better for you in time–that's my wish for you. Have you been able to discuss treatment with your doctor or healthcare team? -Matt (Team Member)

    or create an account to reply.