Retired at 62 and receive SSI, 2018 will be auto enrolled in Medicare A & B. At this time have private insurance with my last job. They are offering the option for retired employees an insurance plan that cover 20% of what Medicare Part B doesn’t and Prescription coverage with the same co-pay as my private insurance did. The cost is roughly $166 a month less the cost of Medicare Part B which is roughly $100 a month. So the total for insurance when I reach 65 would be $266 a month. The deductible is $3,500.
Need some direction on what I should do. Cleared HCV in 2005 but have a preexisting condition. Type 1 Diabetes.
Hi Kathy D! Thank you for your post! This is a tricky one indeed. I’m far from an insurance or Medicare expert, but I so appreciate how much thought and research you have put into this decision. It seems like you’ve really been looking at this from all angles, and are trying to make the best decision for your health and your financial stability. Being an advocate for your health like this is one of the greatest things you can do moving forward, regardless of whatever comes your way. I’m sorry to hear about your T1D, but am so glad to hear you were cleared of HCV in 2005! Yay!
With our health care and health care insurance landscape changing so much in recent years, it’s so hard to say what may be the absolute “best” option at this minute. However, I think there are a few options you could look into at this point. The first option is you can post this as a question on our Q&A section of the site, so that it might gain a little more traction from other members who have been in this situation, and who may be able to chime in with more relevant experiences. You can find the Q&A section here, https://hepatitisc.net/q-and-a/ The other option I can think of off the top of my head is to call a HepC helpline and see if they have any experts on staff who handle this kind of information. If you explain to them that you’ve been cured of HepC but are trying to make the best insurance decision for yourself moving forward to ensure your security and safety for years to come, I can’t imagine they wouldn’t want to help nor be able to point you in the right direction. One such organization is called Help-4-Hep, and they can be reached at 877-HELP-4-HEP (877-435-7443). Of course I’m sure there are MANY options I’m not thinking of at this moment, and I’m hopeful that other community experts or members will be able to chime in if they see this! I also found this article that you may find relatable, but it also may be beyond where you’re at right now, https://hepatitisc.net/living/choosing-a-health-insurance-plan/# Just thought I’d share in case!
Whatever you decide to do, please keep us posted. We’re here for you and sending you warm hugs and positive thoughts!
Thanks Casey for your reply. Apologies for not getting back sooner.
I’m well aware of Help 4 Hep.
I’ve know Daryl Luster for years. Way back when I was going thru treatment in 2004.
Good idea regarding posting my above question about Medicare on the Q & A.
I’m a 70 year old male who blood tested positive for hcv about 2 years ago (treatment naive) stage one fibrosis .all enzymes are good and I have no symptoms…my question is what type of medicare advantage should I be looking for …I currently dont have RX coverage but would like a low cost plan which includes rx. What should I be looking for….what type of insurance is most likely not to deny medication.
If anyone can advise me I would greatly appreciate it.