Safe and Healthy Ways to Detox Your Liver
There are healthy, simple ways to detox your liver that can be done safely to avoid harming your liver.
Do your research and talk to your doctor
When I was diagnosed with hepatitis C, I researched what was good for the liver. Numerous products were available claiming to clean and detox the liver.
Both my hepatologist and gastroenterologist warned me not to take these products due to the risk of causing further liver damage. There was also the potential for drug interactions with my current treatment medication.
Products marketed as “detox liver supplements” are not regulated by the U.S. FDA and have not gone through rigorous medical clinical trials to determine if they are safe and have valid claims.
Over-the-counter liver detoxes
Some over-the-counter detoxes can do more harm than good. Many products are marketed as “liver cleansers” or “liver healthy” which, in fact, some supplements and herbal treatments have been shown to cause liver damage. Since they are not regulated, there is no guarantee that the listed ingredients are correct.1
Ways to rid the body and liver of toxins
My hepatologist recommended several healthy ways to rid the body and liver of toxins. These may include:
- Drink water, a minimum of 64 ounces or more a day. Infuse with lemon or another citrus to increase hydration. Adequate water intake is needed for cell function and rids the body of toxins and waste.
- Avoid alcohol. For hepatitis C and liver disease patients, alcohol can escalate inflammation and potentially cause further liver damage.1
- Eat a nutritionally healthy diet free of processed foods, high sodium, sugar, and unhealthy fat. Eat fresh or frozen foods high in antioxidants that help reduce inflammation and boost the immune system.1
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep per night. Sleep helps recharge the body while ridding the body of toxins that have built up during the day.
- Exercise. Mild to Moderate exercises like walking, riding a bike, or playing a sport helps reduce inflammation in the body while boosting energy, stamina, and endurance. Exercise also increases the body’s natural ability to rid toxins.1
- Drink coffee daily. Studies show numerous antioxidant and inflammation-reducing benefits from coffee.2
Natural detox methods
While there is not enough clinical evidence to support any benefits of detoxing, some people believe that adding milk thistle, apple cider vinegar, and garlic to your daily diet helps the liver.
As always, talk to your doctor before taking any medication, supplement, detox, or using any cleansing method. Be proactive in taking care of your liver and practicing healthy detox methods.
Have you taken our In America Survey yet?