Liver Healthy Snacks
Last updated: September 2022
When I was diagnosed with hepatitis C, one of the first questions I asked was, “What should I eat with hepatitis C?”
A healthy diet is a proactive step in helping reduce inflammation and fight liver disease.
Liver healthy snacks are an important part of a healthy liver eating plan. Knowing what snacks promote balance and reduce inflammation is a great start.
Benefits of healthy snacks
Healthy snacks can be eaten 2 to 3 times per day between meals. This helps keep blood sugar levels and reduce hunger while helping your energy.
Eating the correct type of snack can help reduce inflammation, which is good for your liver.
Liver Healthy Snacks
- Avocados or guacamole’ (eat alone or dip with fresh veggies slices instead of chips)
- Nuts: almonds (go for raw or non-salted), walnuts
- Nut Butter (almond nut butter packets or measured tablespoons is a healthy protein and reduces inflammation). Look for low-sugar options. Eat alone or paired with fresh veggies)
- Fruit: strawberries, cherries, oranges, apples, blueberries, blackberries, and red grapes are great options
- Tomatoes (small cherry or grape tomatoes make a great snack)
- Dark Chocolate squares. Dark Chocolate has flavanols that help reduce inflammation but choose 70% or more cacao, low sugar, and no added flavors for the best health benefits
- Enjoy a cup of joe. Coffee has polyphenols and other anti-inflammatory compounds. Omit the high sugary syrups. If you like cream in your coffee, use it sparingly or try Almond milk.
- Green Tea. Green tea is full of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG)
Snacks that could cause inflammation
- French fries
- Sugary drinks, soft drinks, and fruit or energy drinks
- High sugary snacks like donuts, cookies, cake, or candy
- Foods processed using hydrogenated oils, chemicals, preservatives, high fructose sugar
- Canned foods
- Refined carbohydrates like chips, pretzels, crackers, white rice, flour tortillas
- High sodium (salty) foods
Liver healthy snacks are eaten 2 to 3 times per day between meals. They can also help if you need to reduce or maintain a healthy weight.
Your liver plays a vital role in digestion and cellular function, so what we put in our bodies matters.
Choose wisely and eat well, be good to your liver!