Hepatitis C and Liver Disease: Simple Steps toward Better Health
What is one thing you would like to accomplish for better health? If you are like me, there is more than one thing.
In fact, my list is long. But instead of being overwhelmed by a long list, pick 1 to 5 areas you would like to work on.
How does this apply to better health and hepatitis C? Proactive steps with realistic goals move you forward, not backward.
Even if your goals are not directly health-related, working on any type of goal is positive and healthy. They serve as motivators to help you work on other goals, especially with your health.
Choose goals related to total health and wellness, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, financially, relationally, or goals related to your environment.
Getting your body in better health
- Get tested for hepatitis C. This is a vital first step toward better health. If you test positive, see the care of a specialist, like a hepatologist, gastroenterologist, or infectious disease doctor.
- Seek treatment for hepatitis C. Improved treatment with direct acting-antivirals can help work towards being cured. The goal of treatment is to eliminate hepatitis C and stop further liver damage from occurring so your body can heal.
- Focus on healthy goals to help your body and liver fight hepatitis C while strengthening your immune system.
- Lose weight if you are overweight. Keep a food and activity log. This increases mindfulness and helps keep you on track toward your goals.
- Eat a healthy liver-friendly diet.
- Avoid alcohol of all types.
- Mild exercises like walking, strengthening exercises, and stretching have tremendous health benefits.
Mental and emotional goals
- Join a support group for hepatitis C.
- If you are dealing with anxiety or depression, talk with a pastor, or professional counselor that can help you.
- If you need help getting unstuck with habits and need help moving forward, a professional certified life coach can help.
- Cleaning and decluttering closets, drawers, etc., are a great way to get a mental boost and serve as motivation toward working on other health goals.
- Reorganizing your environment, like your home or office, can be done in many ways that are beneficial and healthy.
- Learn something new. Take a class or work on a project that you enjoy.
Tips for feeling at peace
- Daily quiet time to pray, meditate, read scripture in helping you feel peace, and continue to feel focused.
- Listening to uplifting music daily can help keep your thoughts positive and hopeful.
- Attend weekly worship and Bible Study, which helps you grow in your faith. There are many online options to attend worship and Bible Study when you can not be there physically.
What goals do you want to work for better liver health?
Have you taken our In America survey yet?