Best Foods for a Liver Healthy Breakfast
One of the biggest questions I am asked is, “What should I eat with hepatitis C?”
While we can't control a lot, our diet is one thing we can control.
Eating a nutritious healthy liver-friendly diet not only is proactive, but we can help our body fight infection and inflammation, and boost immunity.
Though diet cannot cure hepatitis C and liver disease, it makes a huge difference in fighting the battle. Start the day off right by equipping your body with a liver-healthy power-packed breakfast.
What are some breakfast options that are good for the liver?
- Greek Yogurt with berries
- Oatmeal: Steel-cut.
- Avocado: Packed with healthy fat and inflammation-fighting ingredients, plus helps you feel fuller longer
- Fruit: Inflammation fighting fruits like blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries
- Almond nut butter: Almond butter provides healthy protein and as well as healthy fat
- The egg is a healthy protein. If you fry, use a drizzle of olive oil for a better choice
- Fresh vegetables can be eaten at any time of the day. Try adding sautéed veggies to a healthy breakfast omelet
- Whole wheat/Whole Grain English Muffin, or Toast provides fiber and complex carbohydrates that are healthy for your liver
Breakfast tips for liver health
- Make your own fresh fruit perseveres or jam easily without all the sugar or additives
- Eat a combo of protein, complex carbohydrates, and fiber and you’ll power up a liver-healthy breakfast
- Squeeze your own fresh orange juice without adding sugar for a healthy juice
- Avoid using sugar. Use a light drizzle of honey to add some sweetness
- Fresh foods are best and liver healthy
Liver healthy drinks
Coffee: Black coffee has liver beneficial ingredients that specialists have reported to help protect the liver from liver damage
Green Tea: Green tea also provides liver beneficial properties which help protect the liver.
Water: Drink 64 ounces of pure water daily or water infused with lemon or another citrus. Water is essential for the body and liver function plus it helps flush toxins out of your body, so drink up!
Avoiding unhealthy options
- High sugar cereals
- Breads made with white flour, and hydrogenated oil
- Donuts and pastries are high in sugar, and trans fats
- Processed foods of all types
- Breakfast meats like bacon, ham, and sausage include nitrates, and other additives, high in sodium, and unhealthy fat
- Fruit juices with added sugar
Eating a liver healthy breakfast sets you up for success for the whole day. Arm your body with good nutrition and give yourself a high-five!
Do you experience long-term side effects from hep C treatment?