Harvoni for Hepatitis C: Side Effects, Patient Stories, and More
Last updated: March 2023
Harvoni is 1 type of combination, direct-acting antiviral medicine used to treat hepatitis C. Harvoni may be used to treat hepatitis C in both adults and children.
How effective is Harvoni?
Like other direct-acting antiviral medicines, Harvoni is different than the older drugs used to treat hepatitis C (such as interferon). Today, direct-acting antiviral (DAAs) medicines like Harvoni have very high cure rates and can be used to treat hepatitis C in as little as 8 to 12 weeks. There are financial assistance programs available for people who need help affording hep C treatment.
What are the side effects of Harvoni?
The most common side effects of Harvoni are headache, fatigue, and body weakness. To learn more about possible side effects, you can review the Harvoni prescribing information or talk to your doctor.
We also asked our 2020 Hepatitis C In America survey-takers about their experiences with Harvoni. Of people who have used Harvoni in the past (no longer using), the following side effects were common:
- Cognitive difficulties: 22 percent experienced in the past, 31 percent are still experiencing, and 47 percent never experienced
- Fatigue: 26 percent experienced in the past, 55 percent are still experiencing, and 19 percent never experienced
- Joint pain: 13 percent experienced in the past, 37 percent are still experiencing, and 50 percent never experienced
- Neuropathy/nerve problems: 4 percent experienced in the past, 35 percent are still experiencing, and 61 percent never experienced
- Skin problems: 15 percent experienced in the past, 31 percent are still experiencing, and 54 percent never experienced
Harvoni stories and experiences
Recently, several community members have shared their Harvoni treatment stories. Some have shared that they are experiencing side effects such as fatigue, itching, or brain fog, while others experienced no side effects at all. Every person is different!
While your doctor is the best person to ask about treatment options and possible side effects, we hope that connecting with the HepatitisC.net community provides you with information and support. You can also comment below to ask your question, or connect with others through our Forums page.
Join the conversation