Italian Zoodles with Marinara
Last updated: June 2021
Zoodles are the healthy way to enjoy Italian dishes with a liver-healthy twist. Zoodles can be eaten raw or cooked, depending on your taste and recipe, but they're packed with flavor and healthy nutrients.
This dish is Italian without the added calories, no guilt, and easy to prepare - just total yum! If you need to watch your sodium intake, choose no salt added diced tomatoes and tomato paste, and non-salt seasonings in place of sea salt.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes 2 servings
Ingredients for Italian zoodles
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup, diced sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons minced or chopped garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes (optional: no salt added diced tomatoes)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste (optional: no salt added tomato paste)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt or Non-salt Mrs. Dash seasoning
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 3 large zucchini squash, spiralized into noodles (purchase spiral zoodles or spiralize your own)
- grated Parmesan Cheese to taste on top before serving
Directions for Italian zoodles
- Drizzle olive oil in a pan, heat to medium. Add garlic and diced onion and sauté for 4 minutes until onions are tender. Add in petite diced tomatoes and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, then add tomato paste and basil, oregano, Italian seasonings, salt or non-salt seasoning, and pepper. Stir and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes and sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- In a separate pan, drizzle remaining olive oil and sauté spiralized zucchini noodles for 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked but still firm. Be careful not to overcook zoodles or they will become mushy. Slightly cooked (al dente) is best. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked zucchini to the sauce and stir until combined. When ready to serve, sprinkle parmesan cheese to your taste. Bon Appetit!
Note: Nutritional facts shown are with using regular petite tomatoes, tomato paste, and sea salt. Using no salt versions will greatly reduce sodium amount.
Optional: Serve with a side salad, crusty garlic bread, oven-baked portabella mushroom, baked chicken breast, or enjoy solo.
- calories: 267
- fat: 15g
- protein: 8g
- sodium: 847mg
- sugar: 7g
Disclaimer: HepatitisC.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.