How a Hobby Can Help You with Liver Disease
Last updated: May 2022
Liver disease, like any chronic illness, can take a toll on you, physically, mentally, and emotionally. Dealing with chronic disease can consume a person’s thoughts, often leading to feeling weariness and depression. You get sick n’ tired of being sick n’ tired.
Just like medications help the body, hobbies can help you mentally and emotionally and ultimately help you physically.
Columbia College stated, “Hobbies give you an opportunity to enhance your life. Hobbies allow you to destress yourself while remaining mentally productive. Having hobbies promotes better health and may lower the risk of having high blood pressure. Enjoying a few hours of your hobby a week can also reduce the risk of depression.”1
Where are you in your treatment journey?
How can hobbies help me?
You are more than hepatitis C and liver disease. Choose to shift your thoughts and become active in a hobby you enjoy. Get your mind on something other than your condition. Enjoy an existing hobby or learn something new. Hobbies can:
- Boost confidence
- Help you de-stress
- Promote making friends and socializing
- Writing: Your words, thoughts, and experiences matter! Journal, or take a leap and write a short story or book. Share your story.
- Painting: Take a painting class in person or online. Enjoy being creative.
- Gardening: Enjoy being outside and soak up some sunshine and Vitamin D and see how good it will make you feel.
- Walking: Low impact walking or moderator exercise is a double dose of strengthening your muscles and distressing, which is good for anxiety and depression.
- Learn to play an instrument: Take a class and interact with others who play.
- Outdoor sports: There are a wide range of outdoor activities to enjoy. Don’t be afraid to try something you’ve never done.
- Choose a variety of indoor and outdoor activities you can do by yourself and with others. Ask a friend or family member to join you or get involved with a class or club and make new friends who enjoy the same activity.
Hobbies are like medicine for the soul. You’ll be surprised how good they can make you feel. Remember this: Hepatitis C and liver disease live with you. You don’t live with it! A hobby is like music in your life. Turn up the music my friend and enjoy, you are more than your condition!
What hobbies do you enjoy or what would you like to learn?