The Importance of Healthy Choices When Stressed
The importance of healthy choices is vital when your stressed, especially for those fighting hepatitis C and liver disease. Stress has been known to lower your immune system and contribute to anxiety & depression. Practicing daily self-care can help reduce stress and give your mind and body a healthy boost.
Daily self-care tips:
Here are some tips for taking care of yourself, mentally and physically:
- Keep or create a healthy routine and schedule
- Get plenty of sleep a night (at least 8 hours)
- Get mild to moderate exercise 5 to 6 days per week. Walking, swimming, riding a bike, yoga, or stretch exercises are an excellent way to boost your health and lower stress.
- Soak up some sunshine and fresh air. Get a dose of natural vitamin D with being out in the sun as temperatures permit.
- Join a local or online support group for hepatitis C and liver disease.
- Keep connected socially.
- Learn something new. Keep your mind active and engaged in a fun project.
- Do something you enjoy daily.
- Keep focused on the good things (big and small) in your day and week.
Liver-healthy diet tips
Here are some ways to help yourself through diet:
- Eat a nutritious diet each day. Smaller meals and healthy snacks throughout the day help keep your blood sugar level and energy up while helping your liver. Fresh, frozen fruits or organic vegetables are best if possible, and do not contain harmful additives, or chemicals.
- Drink pure water or water infused with citrus (at least 64 oz daily)
- If you need to lose weight, keep a daily food diary. There are many online options. Consult with a registered dietitian and your liver specialist who can recommend a healthy diet designed for your liver condition. Get your doctor’s approval before beginning any diet or exercise program.
Avoid excess stress to your body and mind
This might include...
- Avoid alcohol. Alcohol can contribute to and accelerate liver damage.
- Avoid smoking, even second-hand smoke.
- Talk to your doctor before taking any prescription, over the counter drugs, vitamins, supplements, or herbs. Do not rely on claims for liver remedies. Keep your liver safe.
- Avoid people who are negative, critical, and abusive. If you are in a relationship and do not feel safe or you are in danger of being harmed, contact authorities to help you to safety and/or consult a professional counselor.
- Avoid foods that add stress to your liver. Processed foods contain unhealthy fats, high sugar, chemicals, and additives which are not healthy for your liver.
- Avoid over-indulgence of news or scary, disturbing movies and programs.
I recommend practicing daily stress-reducing tips and help your liver. You’re worth it!
Does reading hep C patient stories aid you in your journey?