What To Say to Hepatitis C Patients and Caregivers
Unless you’ve experienced hepatitis C or been a caregiver, you might now know what to say to encourage or help them. Often the best thing you can do is to make yourself available, let them know you care, and listen. Here are some tips on what to say and do for patients and caregivers.
Offer words of encouragement
Here are some ways to encourage hep C patients and caregivers:
- I can’t imagine what you’re going through, but I want you to know I care and I’m here for you.
- I’m so sorry you’re going through this.
- Nothing I can say will make this better, but I’m always here for you.
- I am so proud to call you my friend.
- I love you.
- You are my hero.
- You’re a warrior and I know you’ll get through this.
- Hepatitis C doesn’t define you and will not beat you.
- You are an overcomer!
- I wish I could take all of this away, but for now, I’m here to lean on.
- Call me anytime, I’m here for you.
- I’m praying and thinking of you every day.
- What is one specific way I can pray or help you this week?
- Is there a certain book or website I can read to learn more about what you’re going through?
- Hepatitis C may have come to visit, but you’re going to kick them out once and for all.
- You are so brave and strong.
- The strongest people are not those who show strength in front of us, but those who win battles we know nothing about.
- Remember nothing is bigger or stronger than God who has gone ahead of you and beside you to help you every step of the way. I’m here for you too.
Ideas to help
Here are some ways to offer help:
- Call and bring them a meal during the week.
- Don’t rely on them to call you. Call and ask if you can pick something up from the store or whatever else they need.
- Send 'thinking of you' cards.
- Plan a night to come over with a funny movie and something good to eat and spend time laughing together.
- Call them and check to see how they’re doing.
- Ask if you can take them to a doctor’s appointment or run an errand.
- Mow, rack leaves, or shovel snow for them as a surprise.
- Send 'thinking of you flowers.'
- Pray for them.
- Send them scriptures from the Bible to encourage them.
Do you experience long-term side effects from hep C treatment?