Mavyret for Hepatitis C: Side Effects, Patient Stories, and More
Last updated: October 2021
Mavyret (glecaprevir, pibrentasvir) is 1 type of combination, direct-acting antiviral medicine used to treat hepatitis C. Mavyret may be used to treat all genotypes of hepatitis C in both adults and children.1
How effective is Mavyret?
Like other direct-acting antivirals (DAA), Mavyret is different from the older drugs used to treat hepatitis C, such as interferon. Today, DAAs like Mavyret have very high cure rates and can be used to treat hepatitis C in as little as 8 to 12 weeks.1 There are financial assistance programs available for people who need help affording hep C treatment.
What are the side effects of Mavyret?
The most common side effects of Mavyret are headache and fatigue.1 To learn more about possible side effects, you can review the Mavyret prescribing information or talk to your doctor.
We also asked our 2020 Hepatitis C In America survey takers about their experiences with Mavyret. Of people who have used Mavyret in the past (no longer using), the following side effects were common:
- Cognitive difficulties: 11 percent experienced in the past, 44 percent are still experiencing, and 44 percent never experienced
- Nausea, vomiting, or digestive problems: 14 percent experienced in the past, 19 percent are still experiencing, and 67 percent never experienced
- Fatigue: 31 percent experienced in the past, 50 percent are still experiencing, and 19 percent never experienced
- Joint pain: 14 percent experienced in the past, 50 percent are still experiencing, and 36 percent never experienced
- Neuropathy/nerve problems: 8 percent experienced in the past, 33 percent are still experiencing, and 58 percent never experienced
- Skin problems: 11percent experienced in the past, 33 percent are still experiencing, and 56 percent never experienced
Nour, a pharmacist (and one of our hepatitis C advocates), has also written about Mavyret. Check out her article on Starting Your Hep C Treatment with Mavyret.
Share your experience or ask questions about Mavyret:
While your doctor is the best person to ask about treatment options and possible side effects, we hope that connecting with the HepatitisC.net community provides you with information and support. You can also comment below to ask your question or connect with others through our Forums page.