Getting Dumped with Hepatitis C

Getting Dumped with Hepatitis C

After years of living with hepatitis C, I was very sick. My husband gave up on my low-energy self. He was about done with having a brain foggy wife. Within months of our split, I was diagnosed with end stage liver disease. He was already long gone with a healthier girl. It was a lonely and shocking time for me.

There are many ways to deal with getting dumped. When you’re sick, you’ll need a giant-sized dose of confidence to get you through. That, and a good friend. Pretend I’m your best friend and we’re setting in a booth at your favorite restaurant. You just got dumped. I’ll be the good listener who has all the answers. You know, the one you can count on to be on YOUR side – against the EX – and offer sympathy and hope. It will tide you over til you get back on your feet. Here are my one liners. Read them slowly and with meaning.

Sympathy and Hope after Getting Dumped with Hepatitis C

1. Get all of their stuff out of your house. Delete pics, texts, and voicemails off your phone. Then block them on your Facebook. No contact. No stalking. Keep it clean.

2. They don’t know what they had. You were the best thing that ever happened to them and they totally blew it.

3. I never liked them anyway. You know how annoyed I got whenever they acted so and so.

4. If they don’t want to be with you – fine. They can go throw themselves off of a bridge for all we care.

5. I’m so glad they’re gone. Now you can focus on yourself and start working with your doctor to get better.

6. After getting rid of: fill in the blank ______________________ (ascites, Hep C Virus, jaundice, portal vein thrombosis) you’re going to feel and look amazing. Then they’ll be sorry they walked away.

7. You’ll show them. Now you can get your life in order. You’ll take care of any nasty habits that held you back. You can lose that extra 10 lbs. You’re going to look so good in those jeans. Uh huh, and you’ll be over it and looking for a new love.

8. Get out there. Even if you’re a sad mess – just start. Let your broken heart be your rocket fuel into the future!

9. Let’s make a list of what you want in a partner next time. Start with inner qualities like loyalty, honesty, and kindness. Now let’s go to the things you admire like steady job, decent house, and good breath.

10. You’re going to find someone who gets you this time. They won’t make fun of your diet. They will make you a chicken salad and think you’re wise for taking care of yourself.

Even though it hurts right now, you have an amazing future ahead of you. You’ll get past this. Be patient. The pain won’t last forever. You’re going to find true love after Hepatitis C. I’m with you all the way. You’ll come out of the pain and begin again.

Check back for more from Karen on hep C and relationships.

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The HepatitisC.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Comments

View Comments (7)
  • Karen Hoyt author
    9 months ago

Give you wife a big hug for me! What an angel to stand by you and help you get through this. Hepatic encephalopathy was a big part of it. I withdrew from church and social activities too. I wanted to sleep all the time!

I met a great guy who works in the health food industry. He stuck with me through the triple therapy of 48 weeks. We’ve been married for almost 6 years now! I’m so blessed! xo

• Daryl Luster
    10 months ago

This is a very honest and real piece on real-world pain my friend, I applaud you for the courage and frankness.
    Daryl

• Karen Hoyt author
    10 months ago

Daryl – It is. I’ve faced some dark days. You have too. And there will be more. But look at how we just keep going….

I kind one winced at some of this. Yikes. We put it all out there because we KNOW others are facing the same thing.

What doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger – right?

xo Karen

• Daryl Luster
    9 months ago

Stronger in some ways but not all, with the constant battles it gets me down sometimes if I am being honest. None of it has killed you or me just yet and as long as we can do what we do now, we are fine my friend.

• nort
    10 months ago

There are so many platitudes about getting dumped. It’s really no different than if you were well. It really hurts!
    If I’m being totally honest, there are times I wish I could dump me. I’m impossible to please, look like death warmed over, spend my “ free” time going to one doctor or another, or sleeping.
    Every article I read talks about how important it is to have family comfort you and help you when you need it. I don’t have that , and it pisses me off. I wallow.
    Try to learn to be strong and kind to yourself. Allow yourself to feel whatever you’re feeling. I don’t think there is any kind of road map. Survival is the name of the game.

• Karen Hoyt author
    10 months ago

nort – I LOVE your advice. Being strong and also being kind to yourself are the best keys to surviving life.

I’m sorry, but I have to LOL at your statement about dumping yourself. I totally get that. I bore myself to tears sometimes. Being sick sucks.

Life is definitely a trip, journey, whatever you want to call it. Yes, survival is the name of the game. You sound like a punchy kind of person who will survive. Comforting friends? We’re it. Our online community is like family to me. I hope it is for you too.

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to post. xo Karen

• highmaintenance
    9 months ago

Thanks for your post. I was fortunate to have support from my wife & family. It’s been over 18 yrs since I was diagnosed w hepc & took my first round of interferon, 7 1/2 months or 36 weeks. I looked like I was dying & stopped going to church & other social events.
    Having a love one or partner that bails out has got to be a new kinda low to experience. Hope a good person & Friend come into your life to help & show understanding. Stay Strong & Safe.

• Poll