Epclusa for Hepatitis C: Side Effects, Patient Stories, and More
Epclusa (sofosbuvir, velpatasvir) is one type of combination, direct-acting antiviral medication used to treat hepatitis C. Epclusa may be used to treat all genotytpes of hepatitis C in both adults and children.
How effective is Epclusa?
Like other direct-acting antiviral medications, Epclusa is different than the older drugs used to treat hepatitis C (such as interferon). Today, direct-acting antiviral medications (DAAs) like Epclusa have very high cure rates and can be used to treat hepatitis C in as little as 8-12 weeks. There are financial assistance programs available for patients who need help affording hep C treatment.
What are the side effects of Epclusa?
The most common side effects of Epclusa are headache and fatigue. To learn more about possible side effects, you can review the Epclusa prescribing information, or talk to your doctor.
We also asked our 2020 Hepatitis C In America survey takers about their experiences with Epclusa. Of patients who have used Epclusa in the past (no longer using), the following side effects were common:
- Cognitive difficulties: 11% experienced in the past, 43% are still experiencing, and 46% never experienced
- Nausea, vomiting, or digestive problems: 3% experienced in the past, 31% are still experiencing, and 66% never experienced
- Fatigue: 23% experienced in the past, 51% are still experiencing, and 26% never experienced
- Joint pain: 6% experienced in the past, 57% are still experiencing, and 37% never experienced
- Neuropathy/nerve problems: 6% experienced in the past, 37% are still experiencing, and 57% never experienced
- Skin problems: 14% experienced in the past, 34% are still experiencing, and 51% never experienced
Epclusa stories and experiences
"I started Epclusa today!"
"Blood work next week to see if Epclusa worked!"
Daniel, one of our hepatitis C advocates, was cured using Epclusa. You can read his experience in his article, "My Epclusa Treatment Story".
Recently, several community members have shared their Epclusa treatment stories in our Forums. Some have shared that they are experiencing side effects such as fatigue, water retention (swelling), and itching, while others have asked questions about long-term side effects or want to learn about potential drug interactions.
Read Epclusa treatment experiences
While your doctor is the best person to ask about treatment options and possible side effects, we hope that connecting with the HepatitisC.net community provides you with information and support. You can also comment below to ask your question, or connect with others through our Forums page.
Do you try to follow a liver-friendly diet?